Monday, May 26, 2008

Passing it on

We have begun a second chance at life.

Were I to be a unflinchingly honest, I would have to say it is more like my 50th chance at life...but who's counting? I am learning to forgive myself, and all along my journey others seems to be doing the same-for themselves and for me.

I am supposed to share with others-my experience, strength and hope. I am supposed to talk to them as equals, never from a spiritual hill-top, never talking down to them.

I have to be so loving, so free from judgment, so accepting of them as they are. Just as one alcoholic can hear the understanding in the voice of another-so too can they sense the unspoken scorn for their perceived failings and short-comings. I know that I can-nothing smarts as much to my pride as someone speaking words with their mouth, while I can sense disapproval in their attitude. It is a sure-fire way to lose the very person I mean to assist when I fail to bring true love into the equation.

Sometimes it is easy to feel the love for another human-but sometimes, I have to forcefully invite God into my discussion and repeatedly ask for love for my fellow. It doesn't mean i am bad or evil, it just means that I too, need help. And it leads me to wonder how much more loving I could have been in the other situations if I always took time to invite God into my sharing.

It works-it really does.

No comments: